The Charter of the French language and its regulations govern the consultation of English language content.

Free and enlightened consent to a civil union

To form a civil union, you must be able to give your free and enlightened consent. This means that you must agree to the civil union:

  • without being forced to form the civil union by constraints or threats;
  • with a full understanding of the effects of your commitment.

If you or your intended spouse do not meet this condition, any interested person may oppose your civil union or request its annulment.

Person found to be incapable

If a court has found you to be incapable, you will not generally be allowed to form a civil union.    

Retourner en haut