Officiants authorized to solemnize a civil union

For your civil union to be valid, it must be solemnized by an officiant recognized by law and authorized to solemnize civil unions. To be certain of your choice, you can consult the register of officiants kept by the registrar of civil status.

Your civil union must be solemnized by an authorized person, such as:

  • a clerk or deputy clerk of the Superior Court;
  • a notary;
  • a mayor;
  • a member of a municipal or borough council;
  • a municipal officer;
  • a minister of religion.

You can also ask a relative or friend to solemnize your civil union, provided he or she meets certain conditions.

Officiant's right of refusal

A minister of religion may refuse to solemnize your civil union if:

  • the conditions prescribed by the religion concerned have not been met;
  • there are obstacles to the civil union in the view of the religion concerned.   
Retourner en haut