You and your intended spouse can agree to ask a close relative or friend to solemnize your civil union. For example, the designated officiant could be:

  • your mother;
  • your father-in-law;
  • your grandfather;
  • your sister or half-brother;

You can also ask a person who is not a close relative or friend, such as your neighbour or your favourite teacher, to act as officiant.your best friend.

First, you should ask the person concerned if he or she is willing to take on this role.

The person must then apply to the Ministère de la Justice to become a designated officiant.

After receiving authorization to act as a designated officiant, the person will have the same responsibilities and perform the same tasks as any other officiant.


Retourner en haut