Documents required for the interview with the officiant for your marriage

You and your intended spouse must both show that you meet the conditions for marrying. This means that you must show that:

Proof of age

To prove that you are old enough to marry, you can give the officiant: 

  • a copy of your act of birth; or
  • a copy of your birth certificate.

If you do not have either document, you may submit a sworn statement.

If either you or your intended spouse is aged 16 or 17, you must show the court authorization obtained for the marriage.

Proof of civil status

You must prove to the officiant that you are free from all previous bonds of marriage or civil union, by providing one of the documents listed below to prove your civil status.

Civil statusDocument proving civil status
Single (civil union or marriage annulled)Certified copy of the judgment annulling the marriage or civil union
Single (civil union dissolved)One of the following documents:
  • authentic copy of the joint declaration of dissolution made before a notary;
  • certified copy of the judgment dissolving the civil union
DivorcedOne of the following documents:
  • certified copy of the divorce certificate;
  • certified copy of the irrevocable divorce judgment
WidowedOne of the following documents:
  • copy of the deceased’s act of death;
  • deceased’s death certificate

In addition, if you intend to marry at the courthouse, you and your intended spouse must each complete the relevant section of the form Civil Marriage – General Information and give it to the clerk at your interview. 

Judgments or civil status documents from outside Québec

The officiant will accept, as proof, a court judgment or a document produced outside Québec. However, if the document is in a language other than French or English, the officiant will also require:

  • an official translation produced by a member of the Ordre des traducteurs, terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec;
  • a sworn statement by the translator that the translation is accurate.

If the officiant has doubts about the validity or date of effect of a judgment, he or she will ask you to file a court application for the recognition of a foreign judgment.

Retourner en haut