Officiants authorized to solemnize a marriage

For your marriage to be valid, it must be solemnized by an officiant recognized by law and authorized to solemnize marriages. This requirement applies to all marriages, whether the ceremony is civil or religious.

To be certain of your choice, you can consult the register of officiants kept by the registrar of civil status. 

Civil solemnization of marriage 

If you wish to marry in a civil ceremony, your marriage must be solemnized by an authorized person, such as:

  • a clerk or deputy clerk of the Superior Court;
  • a notary;
  • a mayor;
  • a member of a municipal or borough council;
  • a municipal officer.

You can also ask a relative or friend to solemnize your marriage, provided he or she meets certain conditions.

Religious solemnization of marriage

If you choose a religious ceremony for your marriage, the officiant will be a minister of religion authorized to solemnize marriages in accordance with the rites of the religion concerned.

Officiant's right of refusal

A minister of religion may refuse to solemnize your marriage if:

  • the conditions prescribed by the religion concerned have not been met;
  • there are obstacles to the marriage in the view of the religion concerned.
Retourner en haut