Verification of the intended spouses’ eligibility

The intended spouses must prove that they meet the conditions for marrying or forming a civil union. This means that they must show that:

  • they are old enough to marry or form a civil union;
  • there are no obstacles to their marriage or civil union;
  • they are not already married or in a civil union.

Proof of age

As proof of age, the intended spouses must submit:

  • a copy of their act of birth;
  • a copy of their birth certificate.

If they do not have either document, they may submit a sworn statement.

For a marriage, if one of the intended spouses is aged 16 or 17, he or she must show the court authorization obtained for the marriage.

Proof of civil status

Both intended spouses must show that they are free from all previous bonds of marriage or civil union, by providing one of the documents listed below to prove their civil status.

Civil status Document proving civil status
Single (civil union or marriage annulled)Certified copy of the judgment annulling the marriage or civil union
Single (civil union dissolved)One of the following documents:
  • authentic copy of the joint declaration of dissolution made before a notary
  • certified copy of the judgment dissolving the civil union
DivorcedOne of the following documents:
  • certified copy of the divorce certificate
  • certified copy of the decree absolute of divorce
WidowedOne of the following documents:
  • copy of the deceased’s act of death
  • deceased’s death certificate

Judgments or civil status documents from outside Québec

You may accept proof in the form of a document issued outside Québec.

However, if the document is in a language other than French or English, the intended spouses must also provide:

  • an official translation produced by a member of the Ordre des traducteurs, terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec;
  • a sworn statement by the translator that the translation is accurate.

If you have doubts about the validity or date of effect of a judgment, you can ask the intended spouses to file a court application for the recognition of a foreign judgment.  

Retourner en haut