Assistance of the Central Authority for Québec in cases of international child abduction

The Minister of Justice is the Central Authority for Québec, and is therefore responsible for the administration of the Act respecting the civil aspects of international and interprovincial child abduction. The Act gives effect to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.

Our role is to help you:

For this purpose, we work with the central authority for the State where your former spouse and child are living.

In order to intervene, we must consider illegal within the meaning of the Convention the fact that your former spouse is retaining your child in contravention of your custody rights. In addition, even if we consider that an illegal act has taken place, we can act only if your child:

  • is aged 15 or under;
  • habitually resides in Québec;
  • has been living, since the abduction, in a State designated in the Act;
  • has been abducted after the Act is in force with the other State.

Child retained in Québec

In some cases, we can also intervene if a child who habitually resides in a State designated in the Act is retained in Québec. For more information, contact the Central Authority for your State.

International abduction of a child to a State not designated by the Act

We cannot intervene if your child is retained in a State that is not designated by the Act.

In such a case, you should contact the Vulnerable Children's Consular Unit at Global Affairs Canada.

Retourner en haut