Duration and cost of mediation
Free family mediation sessions are offered for couples with children of minor age, or dependent children aged 18 or above, up to a fixed number of hours depending on their situation.
You are entitled to a session of 2 hours 30 minutes on parenting after separation, in addition to:
- 5 hours of mediation, if you are in the process of separating,
- 2 hours 30 minutes of mediation, if you already have an agreement or court judgment but wish to have it reviewed, if you and your former spouse have already received family mediation services, or if you have already obtained a judgment ordering separation from bed and board (legal separation).
The Ministère de la Justice pays the fees of an accredited family mediator for the hours of mediation provided free of charge under the Regulation respecting family mediation. Some funding for free mediation is also provided by the federal government's Canadian Family Justice Fund.
The mediator’s rate must be exactly $110/hour, the amount prescribed by regulation; if not, it will not be paid by the Ministère. It is not a subsidy.
The following costs are not covered:
- administrative fees such as file opening fees, long-distance calls and photocopying;
- any extra hours needed to reach an agreement;
- the costs and fees paid to obtain a court judgment.