Mission, Vision, Values and Mandates
Our raison d'être (Mission)
The mission of Québec's Ministère de la Justice (MJ) is to enhance citizen1 trust and respect for individual and collective rights in Québec by:
- maintaining the accessibility and integrity of the justice system;
- upholding the rule of law.
Justice plays a fundamental role in the underlying cohesion of Québec society. The notion of justice is based on equality and a constant search for balance in the respective rights and obligations of all parties. It requires respect:
- for individuals and their dignity;
- for the principle of equality between citizens1 and equality before the law;
- for the principle of equity in the relations between the public administration and citizens.
As a result, the MJ's primary mission is to maintain a justice system in Québec that is trusted by the population, since the notion of trust underlies all systems of justice and is essential for maintaining public order. In pursuit of its mission, the MJ must perform its duties and exercise its powers in a way that promotes:
- a justice system that is accessible and allows citizens to assert their rights, since justice must be accessible in order to be effective;
- a justice system based on integrity, a notion that is part of the concept of justice and indissociable from honesty and coherency;
- respect for the rule of law, which is the cornerstone of our democratic system and ensures the supremacy of law and recognition for the principle of equality between citizens when asserting their rights.
In addition, the Minister of Justice, who has responsibility for the fight against homophobia, must support the development and coherence of government actions to combat discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.
Our goal (Vision)
To display leadership in the transformation of the justice system and make it more accessible and more responsive.
To meet the numerous challenges involved in providing access to justice the MJ aims, in particular, to rally its partners and, with their participation and commitment, make the necessary changes in the legal culture to ensure that the idea of justice is no longer associated only with the traditional use of the courts to settle disputes.
In addition, the MJ intends to provide the population with improved access to justice and its institutions, while becoming more efficient and reducing its operating costs. To achieve this goal, the MJ will focus on new approaches, in particular by harnessing the potential of new technologies.
It is clear that the MJ does not bear sole responsibility for the transformation of the justice system. Other players in the court system, along with a large number of organizations, share responsibility for providing a system that is more accessible, more innovative, more responsive and more efficient, in order to meet citizens' legitimate expectations and deeply-held aspirations.
In the fight against homophobia, "Establishing a fair and egalitarian society for all, regardless of sexual orientation or sexual identity" will be the goal in coming years.
Québec aims to become an egalitarian society free from prejudice and discrimination based on sexual orientation or identity and gender expression, and the government intends to fight inequality and promote egalitarian relations. It plans to translate the rights recognized by the charters of Québec and Canada, equality legislation and international undertakings, into concrete actions.
In implementing its mission and its vision, the MJ will rely on the values of the public administration, which include respect, integrity and equity:
- respect for all the people it interacts with;
- integrity in the performance of its duties;
- equity in its interventions.
These values are complemented by the value of commitment. This is reflected in the willingness of MJ personnel to devote all their efforts to achieving the MJ's objectives and to act responsibly in light of the autonomy they are given in the performance of their duties.
1. The word "citizen" includes both individuals and enterprises.