Administrative justice of the peace
In general an administrative justice of the peace is a court officer working in the office of the court who has been appointed by the Minister of Justice as a justice of the peace. The appointment can be revoked at any time by the Minister.
The duties of an administrative justice of the peace include:
- receiving informations;
- summoning witnesses;
- issuing orders for discharge;
- presiding, on certain conditions, at appearances by offenders for their interim release;
- endorsing arrest warrants or search warrants;
- receiving reports of seized property;
- adjourning proceedings with the consent of the parties.
Depending on the terms of their appointment, administrative justices of the peace perform their duties:
- at the Court of Québec;
- at the Superior Court;
- at a municipal court.
They may have jurisdiction throughout Québec or only in certain areas or judicial districts.