Directory of accredited civil mediators
Civil mediation offers a simple and flexible way to settle a dispute, and is generally quicker and less expensive than a trial.
The directory below lists all the civil mediators working in Québec who have been certified by a body recognized by the Minister of Justice.
Mediators listed in the directory are certified by one of four bodies recognized by the Ministère de la Justice:
- Barreau du Québec;
- Chambre des notaires du Québec;
- Institut de médiation et d'arbitrage du Québec;
- Université de Sherbrooke.
Mediators must undertake to apply best practices in the field of civil mediation in Québec and must, in particular,
- have successfully completed a relevant training course, lasting at least 60 hours, covering the main theoretical and practical aspects of mediation within the last five years, and have completed a minimum of 10 hours of relevant skills upgrading over two years;
- abide by the rules of conduct applicable to the mediation profession, including the rules on confidentiality, fairness and procedural quality;
- have set up a written procedure to review complaints, to ensure that they are dealt with fairly and at no charge;
- have submitted a file showing no administrative or criminal penalties incompatible with work as a mediator;
- have taken out civil liability insurance.
Article 1 of the Code of Civil Procedure states that “Parties must consider private prevention and resolution processes [which include negotiation, mediation and arbitration] before referring their dispute to the courts.”
In addition, article 606 of the Code gives certified mediators the privilege of non-compellability, which means that they cannot be compelled to disclose anything they hear or learn in the course of the mediation process, or produce a document prepared or obtained in the course of the mediation process, even if required to do so by a judge, unless
- the law requires its disclosure;
- a person’s life, safety or personal integrity is at stake;
- its disclosure is necessary for the mediator to be able to defend against a claim of professional fault.
Modification of the information in the directory
To modify the informatipon in the directory, please contact the accreditation body directly. The mediators ensure the regular updating of the directory data with the department.