What needs to be done if a close relative or friend dies
A number of things need to be done following the death of a close relative or friend. If you are a potential heir, or a close relative or friend, of the deceased person, you may need to:
- obtain a certificate of death;
- search for a will;
- appoint a liquidator, if one has not yet been named;
- accept or refusing the succession.
You may also have to contact other people and organizations outside the justice system. For example, you may need to
- cancel the deceased person's lease;
- cancel his or her driver's licence or health insurance card;
- apply for an indemnity or pension as a surviving spouse.
For more details visit What to Do in the Event of Death.