A will is a document in which you can specify:
- who will inherit your property, and what the share of each person will be;
- who will take care of your children if they are under 18 years of age when you die;
- who will be responsible for settling your estate.
Because a will is a legal document, you can be sure that your wishes will be respected. To be valid,
however, it must meet certain conditions.
A will must be made in one of three forms.
Dying with or without a will
When you die, your heirs will share your estate:
- in accordance with your wishes, if you have left a will;
- in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Code of Québec, if you have not left a will.